Getting There is Half the Fun.
In the 1950s, Cunard Line used that phrase to market trans-Atlantic ocean liner voyages.
I find that it captures, more than anything, my personal spirit of adventure and my interests in travel.
These pages detail my adventures in travel by all modes and methods. Notable is the section on Land Rovers, detailing both my adventures in Britain’s finest 4x4s and technical information for owners derived from my experiences fixing and modifying them. I also detail my interests in travel by sea, rail, and air — sometimes in combination. I find passenger ships, trains, and airplanes all to be fascinating.
My partial goal here is to create a site that harkens back to an earlier, simpler time on the Internet, where quality, personal, focused in-depth writing reigned supreme over flashy design and social media feeds. I’m fully vested in the technological skills of the 21st century, but I still find that I tend to get the most excited when I find a website from another time more focused on substance and content than style. The simplicity of this site is a very conscious design decision; I design websites for a living which look much flashier. I feel that something has been lost in digital storytelling of late, and I hope this “retro” platform will help regain some of it.
Please enjoy the site, and feel free to drop me a line!
- Mother Country Trail 2018, Day T-36: Out-Putting
- Mother Country Trail 2018, Day T-39: Unplugged
- Mother Country Trail 2018, Day T-45: A Transfer of Goals
- Mother Country Trail 2018, Day T-53: Rust Gets in Your Eyes
- Mother Country Trail 2018, Day T-93: Origins
- 2017: Year in Review
- Rover Tech: Discovery 1 GM Fuel Pump Swap
- The Trials and Tribulations of a Land Rover Owner, Part One
- Opening Doors in My Own Backyard on A Weekend Journey Through the Past
The Latest Adventures
April/May 2018: The Mother Country Trail
September 2017: Adventures with Nugget in Search of Oregon
June 2017: Ottawa Valley Land Rovers 34th Annual Birthday Party
April 2017: mendo_recce Land Rover Joe Lucas Not-a-Rallye XXIII
September 2014: “Vermontaneous”